Speed o calibration ?

Moderator: Tim@Prestige

Speed o calibration ?

Postby ron bean » 13 Mar 2013, 17:48

Hi all

Can any body help with the re-calibration of the car, can any one recommend where to take it to get it Bed Buck Herts. :)

Ford are not very helpful, in that the costs are high for just looking, let alone repair.

Thanks Ron
ron bean
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently Driving: Ford Focus CC 3 diesel, ponies as pair, Toyota pickup, Discovery,

Re: Speed o calibration ?

Postby alan01256 » 13 Mar 2013, 18:49

What exactly do you mean by re-calibration :?: :?: :?:
Do you want to adjust the indicated mileage or is the speedo reading incorrectly at certain speeds :?:
alan01256

Currently Driving: Ex Focus CC-3 (57 reg), SportKa (58 reg) & Focus 1.6LX (55 reg) .
Owner Status: Mk1

Postby ron bean » 14 Mar 2013, 21:38

Hi Alan

Yes its the speed odometer it is 4 miles an hour out at higher speeds and 1/2 at lower speeds. :oops:

So is it the dial or is it the computer?

Can there be a sensor that is faulty so change this where ever that may be ?

Regards Ron
ron bean
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently Driving: Ford Focus CC 3 diesel, ponies as pair, Toyota pickup, Discovery,

Postby Alb16962 » 15 Mar 2013, 10:15

Are you running standard tyre sizes , you also have a digital speedo built into your dash
Alb16962

Currently Driving: Focus CC-3
Mk1 Focus Saloon 1.6 ghia

Postby alan01256 » 15 Mar 2013, 14:14

Alb16962 wrote:Are you running standard tyre sizes , you also have a digital speedo built into your dash

That was going to be my next question, followed by is the ABS working OK?
The speedo gets its signal from the nearside ABS sensor, if this is faulty then the speedo gets the wrong signal.
alan01256

Currently Driving: Ex Focus CC-3 (57 reg), SportKa (58 reg) & Focus 1.6LX (55 reg) .

Postby ron bean » 16 Apr 2013, 13:07

Hi all,

The car is on standard wheels/tyres, so I will proceed to see about the senor, thank you I will have to get in connected up I fear.

It does not vary in its info, Have to bite the bullet on the local ford agent for diagnostics. :roll:
ron bean
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby kevthebiker » 16 Apr 2013, 13:39

ron, surely there's always an error in speedometers,?
The figures you quote don't seem to be too far off, I mean, consider when the tyres are new, the speedo will give a slightly different reading to when the tyres are due for replacement, due to the decreased diameter, so given that, a gps will always give a different (more accurate) indication of speed than the cars standard equipment
kevthebiker

Currently Driving: Focus cc td, Honda Goldwing 1800 petrol
Owner Status: Mk2

Postby WInston Smith » 16 Apr 2013, 16:49

Speedo's will generally always read higher than the actual roadspeed. This allows for differences in tyre diameter due to wear and if reading high will keep you within the speed limits.

Few vehicles are accurate, even police vehicle speedometers have to be calibrated.

If you are reading high then that is normal. If you are reading low (i.e. 4 mph under what you are really doing) then it will need sorting as you will be over the speed limit when reading at it.
WInston Smith

Return to PRESTIGE KEEP MOVING INSURANCE SCHEME